Castel San Felice
Distance from postignano
Castel San Felice is located on an isolated hill in the middle of the Nera valley and was a Roman colony. In the 6th century, at the time of Theodoric, a monastic and agricultural community settled there, later it became a Longobard curtis part of the Gastaldato of Ponte. In the 12th century the colony moved to the top of the hill forming the current nucleus around the 1194 church of San Felice, and became the property of Pope Innocent III in 1198.
The structure is typical of fortified villages on high ground, with concentric streets and radial alleys. It is completely surrounded by walls with three access gates, by the one towards Spoleto is the building of San Sebastiano while at the top of the village there is the church of San Paolo. In the valley immediately below the village is the abbey of San Felice and Mauro