Distance from postignano
The castle enjoys a wide view over the plain between Trevi and Spoleto, the oldest documents referring to it date back to 1196 while the ancient walls, of which a considerable section remain, date back to 1378.
Over the following century the increase in inhabitants resulted in the construction of several buildings outside the walls forming a new village, and the church of San Cristoforo was enlarged in 1463. The castle was heavily damaged in the earthquake of 1703 and was largely abandoned, and the population moved to nearby villages, particularly Piè di Poreta where the church of San Cristoforo was also transferred. The original church was restored in 1792, taking the name of Santa Maria della Misericordia. The village below the castle, now simply called Poreta, maintains the interesting medieval structure with various exquisitely constructed buildings, while several beautiful farmhouses are scattered nearby, surrounded by olive groves and ancient trees.
The castle is now a hotel-restaurant.