Castello di Postignano
Close

Book your stay

Currently closed.
We will reopen on April 21, 2024

Menu

castello di postignano logo
Events calendar Book now
Book now
Call us

The history of the borgo

In 1979, photographer and architect Norman F. Carver Jr., author of the book "Borghi Collinari Italiani" (Italian Hilltowns), defined Castello di Postignano as the archetype of Italian villages. Positioned at a strategic point in the Vigi Valley, its history begins in the 9th century.

IX-X CENTURY AD - 1611

The village was founded and built by its own inhabitants, mainly farmers and craftsmen, with the function of a castrum, or control post. This is why the definition of Castle is in the name and an observation tower is sited at the highest point of the hillside on which it stands.

Postignano's position was of great strategic importance, being exactly at the crossroads between Spoleto, Norcia, Foligno and Assisi. During the following centuries, the village experienced a remarkable period of economic stability, being a key centre for the processing and trade of iron and hemp in Umbria. In 1611, the population totalled 235 inhabitants.

IX-X CENTURY AD - 1611

After progressive abandonment, the last eight families living at Castello di Postignano left their homes in 1963 due to the risk of collapse. Although it was by then deserted, the village never lost its soul. American photographer and architect Norman F. Carver Jr. realised this, and placed a picture of Postignano on the cover of his 1979 book "Italian Hilltowns".

His work rekindled interest in Italian villages, promoting the appreciation of their history.

1963 – 1979

1963 – 1979

1994 – 2014

1994 – 2014

The project to restore the village began in 1994, with the acquisition of all the land and buildings that were part of it.

After about 250 deeds were drawn up, work developed until it was interrupted by an earthquake in 1997, finally resuming in 2007 with the addition of the landscape and architectural protection order requested by the property and issued by the Ministry of Cultural Heritage and the Region of Umbria. Gradually, building after building, the village has returned to being the splendid place it once was, faithful to its soul and history.

From 2014

Castello di Postignano is a living village again, with restaurants, museums, shops and the SS. Annunziata church where conferences, events and concerts are held. The hamlet houses have been converted into suites that host tourists from all over the world.

From 2014